| Sign In
Managed Hosting: Features
- Fully Managed
- Parallels® Plesk Panel
- Secure, Reliable Linux operating system
- 24/7 Monitoring
- Nightly Backups
- Spam & Virus Filtering
- Software Updates
- Expert Advice & Consulting
- Configuration Changes
- Performance Tuning
- Scaling / Load Balancing
- High-Availability Solutions / Complex Hosting
- 100% Guaranteed Hardware
- RAID Storage
- SAS Drives
- Hot-swap chassis
- Redundant power supplies
Our managed servers are fully managed. That means expert Modwest technicians handle all system software upgrades, maintenance, and configuration changes. In order to ensure continuous operating system and software coherence and keep the server in a known state at all times, Modwest retains system "root" access and Parallels® Plesk Panel "admin" access. (If you prefer to take on these privileges and responsibilities, our unmanaged VPS Plans might be a better fit.)
Parallels® Plesk Panel
Parallels® Plesk Panel is comprehensive server management software designed to install and manage all systems and applications on a single server. The software is easy to use and automates a large number of tasks. Several add-ons are available as options via the "Parallels® Plesk Panel Power Pack":
- SpamAssassin Interface: Provides a built-in configuration interface for spam rules server wide or on a per mailbox basis.
- PostgreSQL: Enables users to deploy and manage PostgreSQL databases right from the user interface with a few clicks, including the web-based database administration software PhpPGAdmin giving users remote access to their PostgreSQL databases.
- Tomcat: Tomcat is the Servlet container that provides the environment for executing Java Servlets. This add-on supports deploying and managing Tomcat web applications allowing users to set up hosting with JSP support.
- Application Pack: The Parallels® Plesk Panel Application Pack is a completely customizable repository of Site Applications giving Admins the ability to add, deploy, configure, and remove applications for any domain on the system. The Parallels® Plesk Panel Application Pack comes standard with a extended group of applications including a Mambo CMS tool for creating and deploying dynamic web content. Currently included with this add-on is post-Nuke (CMS), osCommerce Ecommerce software, phpBB (bulletin board), gallery (picture gallery), phpBook (guestbook), bbClone (counter), gtChat (chat engine), AdvancedPoll (Poll system), AutoIndex (File statistics and file manager), b2evolution (Blog), Coppermine (Photo gallery), CSLH (Customer support), DocFAQ (FAQ system), openbiblio (Library ), Owl (Knowledge base), phpAds (Banner system), phpBugTracker (PHP clone of Bugzilla), phpDig (Search engine), phpMoney (Account management), phpMyFamily (Genealogic tree), phpsurveyor (Surveys creation tool), phpWiki (Documentation management), pLog (Blog), Tellme (Network tools (whois, traceroute etc.)), TUTOS (Work process organization), typo (CMS), UebiMiau (Webmail), WebCalendar (Calendar), WebShopmanager (Online store creator), WordPress (Publishing platform (blog)), xrms (CRM).
- Parallels® Plesk Panel Antivirus by Dr. Web
Avalable for both VPS and managed server plans, Parallels® Plesk Panel AntiVirus by Dr.Web is an award winning (Virus Bulletin 100% Award) virus scanning and filtering software.
Parallels® Plesk Panel AntiVirus provides reliable, efficient and cost effective protection of your customers' mailboxes against worms, Trojans and other damaging viruses.
Modwest currently runs Linux exclusively on managed servers due to its high performance, stability, maintenance, administration, and security features.
We will monitor your managed servers for basic connectivity ("ping" monitoring), as well as system load, storage availability, and memory utilization. In the event of any issue that could cause service degradation, we will proactively investigate and address the issue 24/7/365.
We will also monitor any network services (web, database, email) for an additional fee, and proactively address any detected issue. If you have a different application you would like us to monitor, we will be happy to consult with you on developing a custom check and related escalation procedures.
When selected as an optional service, we will create a daily backup of your website files, mailboxes, databases, and any configurations. Large archives of binary data such as digital photos may require additional fees.
Our firewall protects against the most common protocol-based attacks, including NetBIOS, SMB, SNMP, SMUX, and RPC. Additionally the firewall discards any fragmented packets and traffic to and from reserved IP address space and from RFC1918 (private class) space.
When you request the 'managed firewall' enhanced service option, your server is hosted on a dedicated VLAN, and you may request specific service ports that should be accessible from the internet, or even from specific IP addresses or ranges. A typical managed firewall configuration might expose only ports 80 (HTTP) and 443 (HTTPS) to the internet, while opening port 22 (SSH), 21 (FTP), and 3306 (MySQL) to your development office. The primary benefit of such a configuration is greatly enhanced security without any inconvenience to your development team.
Your managed server will come complete with a robust webmail application, allowing you to send and receive email from any computer with an internet connection.
Spam & Virus Filtering
When selected as optional add-ons, your managed server will include built-in spam and dangerous content flagging. This level of protection makes it easy for mailbox users to establish client-side filters to avoid most junk mail and viruses. The virus filtering service prevents known viruses from ever reaching user mailboxes.
New exploits and other hacks are anounced daily, and we will keep abreast of all pertinent alerts relevant to your server. We will also proactively apply any security patches required to keep your server running in a secure and reliable fashion.
Expert Advice & Consulting
We have significant experience in infrastructure planning, database administration, software development, and internet technologies in general, and we'll be happy to consult with you on your technical issues. Extensive consulting may require additional fees, but we welcome the opportunity to discuss your projects' technical details.
If you need a feature enabled or disabled, a PHP or MySQL configuration change, or other common configuration change, this can generally be accomplished the same day with no charges to you at all.
While Modwest managed servers are configured for feature-rich performance upon
installation, we will work with you to configure the server for maximum performance
as needed. If the traffic and consequent server load is simply too much for
the hardware deployed, we will consult with you on upgrade options.
Scaling / Load Balancing
If your e-business is growing in popularity, infrastructure planning should
be a key ingredient of your growth plan. Our engineering team is available to
consult with you in planning the "next steps" in your internet success.
High-Availability Solutions / Complex Hosting
If you require a load-balanced cluster or other advanced hosting solutions, please contact us to discuss your specific needs.
100% Guaranteed Hardware
We're confident that your managed server will meet your needs reliably. Any defective hardware will be replaced by Modwest staff at absolutely no cost to you.
One undeniable fact of all computers is that the moving parts within hard drives make the drives themselves the most likely components to experience a fault. In recognition of this fact, we provide several levels of protection.
All Modwest managed servers feature RAID redundancy. RAID ensures that your critical data exists on two or more separate hard drives. Even this level of protection is uncommon among managed dedicated server providers.
Three levels of RAID are available on Modwest managed servers. RAID mirroring (also known as RAID 1) is the default, and sufficient to ensure that no data is lost in the event of a single drive fault. Higher performance is available in the more robust RAID-5 and RAID-10 options. If you need one of these higher RAID levels or have questions, please contact us.
Modwest managed servers are available with SAS storage. SAS technology, as
opposed to SATA, is a storage option that provides greater fault-tolerance and
much higher performance in intensive read and write operations.
In particular, SAS drives in a RAID configuration are known to handle single-drive faults more gracefully than SATA drives.
A hot swap drive chassis, available as an option, enables Modwest staff to replace defective hard drives without removing the chassis from its rack or opening the case. This convenience can save precious minutes, and even help avoid any interruption whatsoever.
Redundant power supplies
Next to hard drives, the power supply is one of the most likely components to experience problems in any computer. A server chassis with two power supplies has two corresponding power cables, and hence is protected from a single unit failure.
While no single-server system is impervious to hardware issues, a hot-swap dual-power SAS configuration is one of the best ways to approach 100% availability. We are happy to consult with you to help determine your requirements for managed server hardware.